My house right now technically has 4 bedrooms, since the basement is finished and there's a room down there. One of the bedrooms is the "harp room" because the harps can't go down all those stairs. Little kids couldn't sleep downstairs. So, that only leaves 2 bedrooms upstairs, including the master. This is why we'll have to move eventually - not enough room, since we want 2 or 3 kids.
My basement has a nice bar (not wet) area downstairs, which is really nice for entertaining. There's a fairly good sized area for the tv and couches and also a 1/2 bath. I have a living room, but no dining room right now. My kitchen is a pretty good size, but I am already using every last bit of cabinet space because of all my cooking equipment!
Here are some things I would love to have in our next house:
- Formal living room
- Formal dining room
- Den or extra first floor bedroom to be a harp room
- Flat driveway (unloading the harp on inclines is more dangerous and much harder!)
- Only 1 or 2 steps up to the front door/porch (again, for the harps)
- Finished basement, preferably with a bar area and area for kids to play
- At least 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths
- Not too big of a yard (pain to mow), but a good size for children to play
- Big kitchen (preferably with white cabinets) with lots of storage space (I enjoy cooking and have lots of cooking paraphenalia)
- Master bed with walk-in closet, preferably with attached bath with double vanity
- In a good school district
- Lots of natural light in the house (I love a bright house!)
- Hopefully some sort of deck/patio for the grill and an outside table
Yes, yes, I know I'm picky! I think we'll have to begin our search for a house a while before we actually plan to move. Some of the things mentioned above (steps, flat driveway) are definitely non-negotiable. Some of the others are, but I hope we can find a house that will be our dream house, without needing much work. Since we won't be moving until we at least already have 1 kid or I'm pregnant, it's not going to be easy to do much fixing up. Neither FI or I are exactly handy, and I'm so busy already with teaching and playing harp/meeting with brides, I don't know when we'd have the time!
So that I have a picture on this post, here's a pretty kitchen I found on Better Homes and Gardens: