Friday, June 13, 2008

Loving Day

I was reading one my wedding blogs, Weddingbee, and found out that yesterday was Loving Day. I have never heard of this before. Apparently, Loving Day celebrates the legalization of interracial marriage. I had no clue that interracial marriage was illegal until 1967. Wow! That's not very long ago!

Loving Day is an educational community project. The name comes from Loving v. Virginia (1967), the landmark Supreme Court decision that legalized interracial marriage in the United States. Loving Day celebrations commemorate the anniversary of the Loving decision every year on or around June 12th. (From Loving Day)

It's interesting to think that less than 50 years ago, my FI and I would not have been able to legally get married. Our good friends N and N (you saw their cute little boy Noah several weeks ago) would not have been able to marry either.

(Disclaimer - we've both lost weight and are still working on losing more!)


2 comments:

Julia Goolia said...

I'd never heard of this day, either. But whoo hoo for you guys!

Aimee said...

Thanks, Julia! :-)