Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Why are houses so darn expensive?!

I'm having trouble sleeping, so I decided to check out Gundaker to look at houses. I fell in love with this house first.


I love that the main part of it is symmetrical. There's a beautiful bradford pear tree in the front yard, too. The front is the best part. There are a few things inside I could change (more cabinets and change the color of the bathroom).

I like the white cabinets in the kitchen, as well. However, it doesn't have a ton of cabinet space. (I know...it looks like a lot, but I have a TON of cooking stuff.)

Bad news...it's $400,000.

FI and I don't plan to move for at least a few years. During that time, we plan to save as much as possible. Hopefully our next house will be the last. So, we want to make sure we're in a good school district, and the house is big enough.

If we had unlimited funds, I would like to move to Ladue, Clayton, or Kirkwood.

Wow - what a house! It can be yours for only $3,325,000. (Cheap compared to the next one!) It has 7 bedrooms, 6 full baths, and 2 half baths.


Ok, this time I'm seriously in love. I think this would be the house of my dreams!



There is the main house, pool house & squash court, gatehouse, gardens, lake, dock & fountains. The 13,253 sqft home boasts 5 bedroom suites, 8 gas fireplaces, a home gym, and a private wine cellar with tasting room. Gorgeous views are enjoyed from each room, many with French doors leading to balconies & patios. [Some of the details]

Look at the gorgeous back patio!



The pool looks amazing!


Ok...I'm sure there are a ton more gorgeous houses in the area. I'm going to stop, though, before I get more depressed. Seriously - someone gets to live in this gorgeous place! I could work as a teacher until the day I die, and I could never make even close to what it would take to buy this place.

Ah...I didn't say how much it cost yet. Well, if you have $16,000,000 you could be the lucky owner of this amazing house! I need to win a REALLY big lottery prize...

6 comments:

Julia Goolia said...

Those houses are pretty but freaking HUGE!! I think you could probably get by with a smaller home even if you guys have 4 kids:)

Don't get too down about house prices. It is a buyers market, so when the time comes it should be in your favor. I don't even let myself look at the ultra expensive houses online because it just taunts me.

Hang in there!

Amanda, Mandy, Manda, Tomato said...

I think it's so neat that someone from little old St. Louis can actually afford those kind of places. I mean, I never will be one of them but the people who can sure are lucky.

Aimee said...

Julia - I know...I shouldn't have looked at super nice homes. I was just curious what houses cost in some of the better areas around here.

Amanda - I can't believe it either! I had no clue there were $16 million and up homes here. I wonder what those people do? My guess is they were born into some money and have a good job, too!

Trisha said...

I wouldn't mind having one of those either. Hopefully it means that I have won the lottery, so that I can hire a "maid" also. ha

Wishful thinking. . .

LucyinStLou said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to say hello. Even though we aren't going to be moving any time soon (we just got our house the way we want it), I love to go to Gundaker for some good old house envy.

Aimee said...

Hi Lucy! :-)